Assessment of a student nowadays is not just confined to tests. At present it has shifted from mere memory tests to a feasible way of analyzing the abilities of individual students in different areas. Assessment test nowadays are also a tool to give an insight of how much informed the student is about each subject. Developing a successful as well effective assessment is not at all an easy task.
Here are the stringent guidelines that need to be followed while creating an effective assessment.
Remember the Intention
The person or a group who is in charge of the assessment of students should always keep in mind why the assessment is being carried out. Do not make the question easy as pie or hard as a nut. The primary objective of a test is the appraisal of students about a particular subject. For example, if there is a multiple choice question the answer ought not to be too obvious or too dubious.
Do not make the assessment boring and meaningless
Archaic method of writing essays as well as bubbling with a pencil is at the brink of nonexistence. Students are well aware that the content they now get are not exclusive and there is a huge chance that it is not devoid of plagiarism. The key is to make sure that the assessment is not something that will put a student in a stage of tautness. It should be something that will enhance creative, communicative, critical thinking as well as team spirit of a student that will help him to make a well-assessed leap towards his future.
Embrace the technology
Computers have been intricately woven into our day to day life. Incorporating technology into assessment is inevitable and is commencing in rapid pace all over the world. A teacher can use an excel sheet or other online or offline software to list down the performance of a student so that she can have a data analysis when its time.
Teachers, however, can expose students to the learning side of an internet where they can access data which will be useful for their course. There are software which help teachers get an insight of how well a student is exposed to a certain subject. A student can also be told to make portfolios so that it can be reviewed by both students as well as a teacher. Portfolio like this will prove to be good for a student in the future.
Encouraging team spirit
Students should be juggled irrespective of their intelligence and they should be persuaded to work together on subjects which they are not used to. It will considerably increase their team spirit skills.
Explaining the task and structure of the assessment
Orientation about the assessment is paramount in the whole process. Style of the assessment, as well as a clear picture of how to prepare for an assessment, should be orientated to the student in an effective manner. They should also be taught how to have a positive outlook towards the feedback that they get in their assessment so that they can improve.
Making the assessment cost effective and manageable
1. Rely more on strategies which are effective and of high yield
2. Limit the volume of the assessment. There is no point making student write pages for an essay as there is high chance for fluff in their answer rather than focusing the actual point. By reducing the volume, time for both writings as well as correction can be saved enormously.
3. Stop doing unwanted things. Often it happens that teachers make students do some work which is irrelevant and just for the sake of it. This failed style is not at all productive and will have a negative impact on students.
4. There has to be a rubrics for the assessment as it will obviously reduce the time to correct it.
5. Plan the due date of the assessment well so that it won’t get jumbled up.
6. Adaptation of the time schedule is very important as no students are equal. It is obvious that you need to focus on certain group owing to their under-performance.
Get a thorough understanding of standards and grade cut off
There ought to be certain guidelines for the marks and grade rewarded after the assessment. Assistance from an international organization or even a reputed university will be available for that.
Counter check the goals
After the assessment, a teacher needs to ask these question to themselves to find out the effectiveness of the test.
1) Was the test on point?
2) Was the test well contained in the boundary of curriculum?
3) Did you test for the subject that was emphasized in the class?
5) Whether the material that you used for preparing the test is in context?
These are the key points that should be kept in mind when creating assessments. It should always be remembered that assessments are done to understand the abilities of each student. They should be friendly and not stressful while helping students to learn as well.